Our 2017/18 Impact Report

Now in our 16th year we continue on our mission of redistributing surplus food to front line charities and expanding our reach to organisations across Sussex and Surrey.

In 2016, FareShare introduced a sister project FareShare Go, which matches charities and community groups to their local supermarket to collect surplus food at no cost. Last year 300 projects benefitted from this service in Sussex, receiving over 116 tonnes of food.

Our Food

We received 532 tonnes of food during this period. 93% of the food received was surplus and would have otherwise gone to waste. The other 7% is non-perishable food that was donated by individuals to top up our surplus deliveries to our charity members.

The food we receive comes from all stages of the supply chain, from growers and manufacturers, to distributors and wholesalers, to supermarkets, cafes and bakeries. Food was received from over 150 suppliers during the year including regular donations from Arla, Amazon, Pret a Manger and many more.  We have increased the number of local suppliers this year including Choccywoccydoodah, Bidfood and Mac Farm in Ditchling.

Our Members

This year, Fareshare Sussex delivered food to 116 different community groups and charities across Sussex and Surrey, serving 8,691 beneficiaries in 12 local authorities. We are proud to have introduced our service to Surrey this year, and we will continue to expand our reach across Sussex and Surrey in the year ahead.

“The service from FareShare enables us to run the café, we would be financially unsustainable without it. We need to keep the menu prices extremely low to attract clients in food poverty and to give free meals to food bank users”.

Merstham Community Café

Our Volunteers

FareShare Sussex exists because of its amazing team of volunteers, who do everything from answer the phones to drive the vans. Our volunteer programme is open to everyone and we celebrate the diversity within our team. As well as tackling food waste and poverty, we support those seeking work into employment through the provision of support and training. This year FareShare Sussex has:

Provided forklift truck training and certification for 6 volunteers

Enabled 26 volunteers complete their food safety training

Supported 20 volunteers into employment (two are now staff!)

FareShare Sussex could not have achieved anything we have celebrated within this report without its supporters, whether that support is a five figure financial donation, volunteer hours or in-kind support from a local business. We would like to say a very large, sincere thank you to every person, business, community group, and public body that has believed in and helped FareShare Sussex carry out its work this year.

Thank You!

Download the full latest impact report.


To request a hard copy, email sabrina@faresharesussex.org.uk


To find out more about how to get involved, click here.